Grilled Cheese Sandwiches
By Carole Morris
The history of the authentic grilled cheese sandwich is vague, however, the history of “the sandwich” is a little easier to nail down. The sandwich was named after the English aristocrat, John Montague (4th Earl of Sandwich) in the 18th-century. Montague enjoyed this type of food because the sandwich allowed him to eat at his desk while working. I totally get it…this man was brilliant.
The sandwich finally came to the United States, in 1840. Sadly, nothing is known about the grilled cheese sandwich between ancient times and the 1920s. The first grilled cheese sandwich was cooked open faced with cheddar cheese, starting in the 1920’s. Now, we’ve evolved to this. Sexy and hot, grilled cheese will never be the same!
Apple Cheddar Bacon Grilled Cheese
(tastes warm and cozy—like home)
4 slices bacon
2 slices (favorite) bread
1/2 apple (remove core) sliced thin
4 slices sharp cheddar cheese
1. Cook the bacon to desired crispness.
2. Pre-heat non-stick flat pan over medium high heat.
3. Butter one slice of bread (on one side) then place in pan. Layer two slices of the cheddar cheese onto bread, next sliced apple and then the bacon. Top with the other two slices of cheddar, then cover it all with the second slice of bread.
4. Brown the sandwich on the first side for approximately two minutes. Press down, with spatula, as the sandwich cooks so that it sticks together.
5. Turn sandwich over to brown on the other side for about two minutes. Cut in half and inhale!
Grilled Cheese & Egg for Brunch
(tastes like an indulgent weekend)
Ingredients (makes two sandwiches)
1/2 stick softened butter
4 eggs (beaten together in bowl)
1/4 cup chopped fresh chives
1/2 cup mushrooms
4 slices of favorite bread
8 slices of mozzarella cheese
8 slices of sharp cheddar cheese
1. In a pan (over medium heat) melt 1 tbsp butter, then add beaten eggs. Stir until eggs are fully cooked, then add mushrooms and chives.
2. Butter each slice of bread…on one side.
3. In a flat skillet (over medium heat) place 2 slices of the bread, buttered side down.
4. Place 4 slices of mozzarella cheese on each slice of bread.
5. Put about ¼ cup of scrambled egg mixture on mozzarella cheese.
6. Place 4 slices of cheddar cheese on top of scrambled egg mixture.
7. Put remaining slice of bread on top of cheese.
8. Cover skillet and cook about two minutes (or until bottom bread is golden brown).
9. Turn-over and cook the second side until it is golden brown.
Grilled Cheese with Caramelized Onion
(tastes like a heavenly bowl of French onion soup)
Ingredients for caramelized onions
5 tbsp butter
3 medium yellow onions,
sliced in about 1/4 inch slices
1 1/4 tsp salt
2 1/4 tsp granulated sugar
1/4 teaspoon thyme
1/4 cup beef stock
Instructions for caramelized onions
1. Melt butter over medium heat in a skillet.
2. Stir in sliced onions.
3. Season with salt and sugar. Cover pan and cook over low heat for approximately one hour. Stir occasionally until onions are dark brown and caramelized.
4. Stir in thyme and broth and cook for about 2 minutes…Remove from heat.
Ingredients for grilled cheese
Stick of soft butter
8 slices French bread
2 cups grated Gruyere cheese
Instructions for Grilled Cheese with Caramelized Onions
1. Butter each slice of bread…on one side.
2. In a flat skillet (over medium heat) place 4 slices of the bread, buttered side down.
3. Put about ¼ cup of cheese on top of each slice of bread. Then spoon desired amount of onion mixture on top of the cheese. Place remaining slices of bread on top of cheese.
4. Cover skillet and cook about two minutes
(or until bottom bread is golden brown).
5. Turn-over and cook the second side until it is golden brown.
Enjoy (try not to lick your fingers).
Instructional Specialist, Author and Adjunct Professor. She is married to an outstanding, brilliant man and the mother of two grown awe-inspiring children, and grammie to three flawless grandchildren.
This story first appeared in the Ardent
for Life Spring 2019 issue.